Sunday, July 23, 2017

Week 98 - "Great Week!" - July 16 - July 22 (Primavera)

This week was the final transfer prior to Jonah finishing his mission. It looks like Jonah will be ending his mission in the Primavera area continuing to work as an AP.  One of his favorite companions, Elder Nunez, has been transferred and Jonah will be working with Elder Melendrez.  I am sure he will be another favorite companion to work with.  Sometimes the AP will finish the mission working in a non-leadership position but Jonah and Elder Nunez were both finishing at the same time so he will stay and train a new AP.

So this week has been a wonderful one!! Thank you all for your birthday wishes, I had a great birthday here in the field! I was honestly not expecting anything to happen, and tried to tell as few people as possible haha, but Elder Nuñez, Elder Morote, and Elder Moore got me a really nice birthday cake and we celebrated a little back in the room. It was super nice of them, and they did a good job of keeping it a surprise. Anyway, we've been keeping really busy with all of the transfers..I think it's now safe to share what is going to happen.

So Elder Nuñez and I are both finishing together so we knew that we weren't going to be able to stay a 5th transfer together. So for this next transfer, Elder Nuñez will be heading out to a new area, and I will be receiving a new companion. Elder Nuñez is going to El Milagro with an excellent missionary, Elder Vassau! He's going to have such great experiences serving out their and will probably be somewhat relieved to not have a leadership position....especially since he has had one since he had 3 months in the mission haha. He's pretty excited to focus on only his companion and his area. So that means that Elder Melendrez will be my new companion here in Primavera! Elder Melendrez is such an incredible missionary, and I'm excited to start working with him this Monday. He has about a year in the mission and is a powerful missionary. I worked with him around 2 weeks ago on an interchange and we had a wonderful day and saw many miracles. From what I know about him, he's from Lima, from San Juan de Miraflores, he's a convert from the age of 15, and right now he is 26 years old. He used to be a salsa singer (the dance, not the chip accompaniment haha), his parents aren't members, and he's given up A LOT of things in order to be here as a missionary. He's a pretty incredible person, and I feel honored to be his companion.

In this past week, we continued helping Hermana Yemely (the lady we found from last week with Elder Latimer), and just yesterday, she passed her baptismal interview! So everything will take place as planned for this Sunday, and next week, I will send fotos of the baptism. She is SO excited to get baptized and has been inviting a lot of different people for Sunday. We've been taking advantage of date, and are inviting all of her neighbors and other investigators to come and see. I always like to see the expression of people's faces to hear that baptisms are sacred, but public events, and that any person can go and see one. It's always a really special experience to witness a baptism, and if you haven't ever seen one, or haven't been to one in a while, I invite you to go and see one again. There is a very sweet spirit that brings much peace and warmth..for those who are members, it will remind of you your special day as well. I still remember my baptism haha...I remember that I was smiling so much in the water, that when Dad put me under the water, a got a mouthful of font water. I said that the water didn't taste so great, but that I still kept smiling. I remember the talks about baptism and the Holy Ghost that Mom and Grandpa gave, and I still remember feeling something different during the whole day. And I remember those things as I attend baptismal services, and it's always a special occasion.

During the past couple of days, we have also been a little busy with the transfers and everything, making lots of phone calls, and having a great time with the other Elders. Just about an hour ago, Elder Plazas just got here, who is going to be replacing Elder Morote as one of the secretaries. Changes are always hard but good. Haha, nothing gold can stay Ponyboy.

I love you all so much! Sorry for the lack of details of the crazy week, but we're always on time crunches here. One other piece of extremely exciting news is that the Familia Vasquez, my first converts in the mission from Baños del Inca are getting ready to be sealed in August!! So that means that Elder Rios and I should be able to go the sealing next month!!!! Man, it's going to be so stinkin cool!! I will give more details about that when I learn the actual date. So excited!

Talk to you all later!! Or as Elder Moore from Texas would say, see ya'll later!!


































No comments:

Post a Comment